ROHLOFF SPEEDHUB OIL CHANGE KIT
The Rohloff SPEEDHUB 500/14 is initially filled with around 25ml of Rohloff SPEEDHUB oil. This exact amount of oil is optimum for both the bearings and gears of the Rohloff SPEEDHUB 500/14.
An oil-change must be completed every 5000km or once per Annum to ensure the 12.5ml quantity of oil is retained and is free from dirt/moisture contamination. This process ensures that the SPEEDHUB 500/14 will always contain enough oil for lubrication (regardless of oil lost due to sweat oil) and also ensures that any penetrated moisture is rinsed out.
The Rohloff Speedhub Oil Change Kit consists of: 25ml Cleaning Oil in a 50ml bottle, 12.5ml Rohloff Speedhub Oil and a Rohloff replacement drain plug with new seal.
Please note: In order to effectively transition between old and new packaging, bottles will not be full but will contain the exact amount of oil change fluid, as recommended and supplied by Rohloff.
*Also available as a full kit, with syringe and threaded filler tube - see other listings.
Oil change points...
• There will already be approx. 12.5ml fluid in the hub (old oil and any penetrated moisture). After the cleaning oil is filled into the hub, there will be approx. 37.5ml fluid to extract (in therory). For this reason the cleaning oil comes in a 50ml bottle so that the old fluid can be drained out into this bottle for safe disposal.
• It is important to protect the brake disk/pads (if mounted) with a clean cloth to minimize the possiblity that oil could spray out onto them.
• The Rohloff SPEEDHUB 500/14 must be filled exclusively with Rohloff oils (gear box/cleaning oils). The use of other types of lubricants and/or cleaning fluids could lead to the damage of the inner mechanism's nylon components.
• Used oil should be taken to a specialized oil disposal point, so as to keep pollution levels down.
• Rohloff SPEEDHUB OIL and cleaning oil can be disposed of together with other motor oils.
• Do not expose to direct sunlight.
• Keep out of reach of children.
• The oil drain screw must not be inserted any further than flush with the hub shell. Any deeper could result in periodic drive loss in certain gears.
• Too much oil within the gearbox increases the risk of oil leaks. Therefore, when an oil leak is discovered, new replacement oil must not be added (risk of overfilling). Reduced oil level by leakage through the seals will not cause problems and riding further until the next oil change (annually or every 5000 km) is possible.